For many carpets, vacuuming alone is not enough to keep them dirt and stain free. This is especially true in homes where heavy traffic or pets can significantly increase the amount of dirt and grime the carpet is subjected to.
Fortunately, there is a wide range of carpet cleaners that can clean your carpets more thoroughly than just vacuuming alone. The only problem is how to know which device is right for your needs.
With prices ranging from modest to exorbitant, it is important to be sure that you don’t spend more than you need to.
This article will present reviews for 15 of the best products on the market today. This information will help you to narrow down the choices by design, features and performance, and thus, be able to choose the best carpet cleaner for you.
|Bissell Big Green 86T3||Professional Upright||48 lbs.||5 Years||$$$$|
|Rug Doctor Mighty Pro X3||Professional Upright||40 lbs.||5 Years||$$$$|
|Bissell SpotClean 97491||Portable||9.2 lbs.||2 Years||$$|
|The Rug Doctor||Professional Upright||37 lbs.||5 Years||$$$|
|Hoover FH50150||Upright||18.1 lbs.||1 Year||$$|
|Bissell ProHeat 2X||Portable||12.0 lbs.||1 Year||$$|
|Hoover Dual V F7412-900||Upright||30 lbs.||1 Year||$$|
|Hoover Steamvac F5914-900||Upright||20 lbs.||1 Year||$|
|Bissell ProHeat 2X 1383||Portable||15.3 lbs.||1 Year||$$|
|Hoover MaxExtract 60 FH50220||Upright||27 lbs.||1 Year||$$$|
|Hoover MaxExtract Dual V F7452900||Upright||29.7 lbs.||1 Year||$$|
|Bissell ProHeat 89108||Portable||14.7 lbs.||1 Year||$|
|Bissell DeepClean 17N4/17N4P||Upright||24.4 lbs.||3 Years||$$|
|Bissell DeepClean 36Z9||Upright||32 lbs.||3 Years||$$|
15 of the Best Carpet Cleaners
1. Bissell Big Green Cleaning Machine 86T3
The name of the Bissell Big Green is no mistake. As well as being green, the 86T3 is also one of the larger home carpet cleaning machines you will find. The reason for its size is that it incorporates large capacity water tanks, both for clean and dirty water. Large capacity tanks make this model ideal for larger houses, where smaller models would require frequent water changing.
As well as large water tanks, the Bissell Big Green offers the feature of dual motion cleaning. This means that the machine performs cleaning action on both forward and backward passes. This doubles the efficiency of this model compared to other models that only clean in the forward motion passes. An additional attachment for stair cleaning means you won’t have to lift the 86T3 up the stairs, making it even more convenient.
- The large capacity water tanks are ideal for large houses which require more cleaning.
- The stair attachment provides this model with complete versatility, enabling it to clean stairs, corners and even upholstery.
- The dual motion cleaning capability makes every pass productive. This will literally cut your work in half compared to other models that only clean one way.
- With a 25-foot cord, you can clean large rooms without having to stop and change outlets.
- The large size of the Bissell Big Green means that it is heavier than most models.
All in all, the Bissell Big Green is ideal for larger houses where larger carpet areas require the cleaning capacity of a larger machine. A high customer rating makes this one of the best carpet cleaners on the market.
2. Rug Doctor Mighty Pro X3 Pet Pack
The Mighty Pro X3 Pet Pack is Rug Doctor’s heavy hitter for cleaning carpets with heavy pet traffic, and the issues that can bring.
Designed with a large capacity water tank, as well as an extra long power cord, this model is another top choice for large homes. This model comes with a stair/upholstery attachment, enabling you to clean small corners, stairs and even furniture.
Two cleaning extras are also included with this machine. A cleaning solution for killing urine stains and odors comes in a convenient spray bottle, while Bissell’s Pet Formula Carpet Cleaner comes in a large, 40 oz. container.
While this model lacks the dual motion cleaning action of Bissell’s Big Green, it is another good choice for larger homes with lots of carpet.
- Large 3 gallon water tanks provide for large area cleaning
- An extra long 28 foot power cord enables you to clean large rooms without having to change outlets.
- The stair attachment means you can clean hard to reach corners, stairs and even furniture.
- The large size of the Pro X3 makes it a heavier machine than most.
- The lack of dual motion cleaning makes for extra work.
All in all, the Pro X3 is one of the best carpet cleaners for pets. Positive customer feedback in carpet cleaner reviews means this model has been well received.
3. Bissell SpotClean Portable 97491
For smaller carpet cleaning jobs, Bissell has developed the SpotClean Anywhere Portable 97491. This is a small and lightweight model, perfect for apartments or office settings.
The SpotClean Portable comes with Bissell’s Stain Trapper Tool, which delivers extra cleaning solution to particularly difficult stains. The tool also provides extra scrubbing and suction power to eliminate even the toughest of stains.
One thing to consider, however, is that this model is what it says it is— a SpotClean machine. Thus, this is a poor choice for a regular carpet shampooer. Its small size and limited water capacity seriously reduce its ability to tackle large carpet cleaning jobs.
- The lightweight design makes this a product anyone can use.
- The Stain Trapper attachment adds extra cleaning power over regular cleaning alone.
- A soft grip handle makes using the 97491 comfortable as well as convenient.
- The small size means that the 97491 has limited cleaning power as well as cleaning range.
In the end, the Bissell SpotClean Anywhere Portable is a good choice carpet cleaner for small spaces, but it is not a good choice for anything more.
4. Rug Doctor Deep Carpet Cleaner
This is one of Rug Doctor’s most powerful home carpet cleaners. The upright design makes this model easier to use than models with large hose designs. Compared to other upright carpet steam cleaners, this product offers up to 75% more suction power, providing you with almost twice the cleaning power.
One factor that is a potential drawback is the cost of the model. While it delivers results comparable to commercial machines, it does cost more than most models in its class. Having said that, the design and construction of the Rug Doctor is well worth the money.
With a dual cross action brush system, this model cleans going forward or backward. This doubles the results of your efforts, meaning you can clean a room with half the effort required by many other models.
- The dual cross action brush system means the machine cleans going forwards or backwards.
- The upright design makes this model easier to use, acting like a regular vacuum cleaner.
- The extra cleaning power and capacity makes this model equal to commercial models.
- The high cost of this model makes it a poor choice for anyone who only steam cleans their carpets once in a blue moon.
- The heaviness of the model makes it harder to use than its lighter weight counterparts.
While the Rug Doctor is arguably one of the best carpet cleaners on the market, it is ideally suited for commercial grade cleaning projects.
5. Hoover FH50150
Hoover has developed the perfect product for the middle of the road. Providing strong carpet cleaning, without the commercial strength or size of larger models, the FH50150 is the best carpet cleaner for regular size carpet cleaning jobs. At only 19 pounds, the Hoover FH50150 is a model that anyone can use.
Hoover’s patented SpinScrub technology means this model can bring any home carpet to a fresh, clean appearance. An upholstery attachment enables you to clean those hard to reach corners, as well as stairs and furniture. All in all, this is a good, versatile model that provides quality carpet cleaning at a reasonable price.
- The lightweight design of the FH50150 makes this a good carpet cleaner for any home.
- The upright design makes this model easy to use.
- The upholstery attachment adds extra versatility to this already versatile machine.
- Smaller capacity water reservoirs make this a poor choice for larger locations.
- The brushes only clean in one direction, meaning it takes twice the effort of dual direction cleaning systems.
Overall, the Hoover FH50150 is a perfect middle of the road model, providing decent carpet cleaning power at a reasonable price. Perhaps not the best choice for carpets with pet traffic or other tough challenges, this is a model better suited for average cleaning jobs.
6. Bissell ProHeat 2X
Another excellent lightweight carpet cleaning machine is the Bissell ProHeat 2X. Despite weighing a mere 18 pounds, this machine packs a heavyweight punch on all tough carpet stains. Bissell’s patented DirtLifter brushes are guaranteed to eliminate even the worst pet related stains.
A choice between Express and Deep Clean mode enables you to choose exactly how much cleaning power to use at any given time. Two good size water reservoirs provide plenty of cleaning power for the average size home, meaning you can get plenty of cleaning done without having to change the water over and over again.
This is a perfect choice for average size homes with extra tough traffic.
- The lightweight design makes this an ideal machine for anybody to use.
- Heatwave technology ensures extra cleaning power to the toughest stains.
- The vacuum cleaner design of this model makes it both comfortable and easy to use.
- The only downside to this model is that it is not designed for larger homes or areas with lots of carpet. It is really best suited for average size rooms.
The Bissell Proheat 2X Revolution is a great choice for average size homes with pets or otherwise heavy traffic that requires extra cleaning power.
7. Hoover Dual V F7412-900
Pet owners have rated the Hoover Dual V very highly in various carpet cleaner reviews. The one feature that stands out most in this model is the rinse only mode. This feature enables the user to apply water to the carpet without mixing it with cleaning solution.
Many other models without this feature require you to empty out the water reservoir with cleaning agent in order to rinse the carpet. Being able to use cleaner or water on the carpet is a plus for people with pets or small children, as water alone is safer and gentler than chemical cleaning solutions.
Another plus to the MaxExtract is the width of the brushes. A wider base means that you get a wider cleaning path with each pass of the machine. This will reduce the number of passes you need to do in order to clean the whole carpet.
The vacuum style design also makes this an easy to use cleaner, good for average size houses that need heavy duty cleaning power.
- The wide path of the F7412-900 means fewer passes are needed to cover the whole carpet.
- The rinse only feature is excellent for moderate stains that don’t require harsh chemicals for cleaning.
- The vacuum cleaner design makes this model easy to use.
- This capacity of the water reservoirs limits this model to average size homes with standard cleaning needs.
All in all, the Hoover Dual V is a perfect choice carpet cleaner for average size homes that require extra strength cleaning power.
8. Hoover Steamvac F5914-900
The Steamvac With Clean Surge F5914-900 is Hoover’s best carpet cleaner in terms of versatility, performance and value. The cleaning power of the Clean Surge F5914-900 is considered as good as commercial grade rental machines by many users.
Able to tackle the most challenging of stains, including pet related stains, coffee, wine or even old stains, this model is a must for anyone with high traffic carpets. The Clean Surge technology allows you to inject extra cleaning solution to the areas that need it most.
Despite this being an older model, it still delivers a cleaning power equal to contemporary models. The simplicity of design, as well as the cleaning power, makes this a customer favorite.
- Counter rotating brushes ensure that dirt is thoroughly removed from your carpets.
- Clean surge technology delivers an added punch to those tough stains.
- The ergonomic design makes using this model easy for just about anyone.
- The size of the water reservoirs makes this model less ideal for larger rooms or heavier cleaning projects.
The F5914-900 is a time tested and proven carpet cleaner for average size homes with heavy traffic or challenging stain issues.
9. Bissell ProHeat 2X 1383
Bissell’s Proheat 2X 1383 has an innovative design, bringing commercial grade cleaning power to your fingertips. This model boasts as one of the few home carpet cleaner machines with a built in water heater. This heater ensures that the water maintains the peak temperature for giving your carpets a perfect, professional grade cleaning.
A full 12 rows of Bissell’s patented Dirt Lifter brushes mean that dirt doesn’t stand a chance.
Positive customer reviews rate this model as one of the top carpet cleaners available. With a strong 12 amp motor and a rapid drying time, this model promises the best results each and every time.
Good in homes with or without pets, the ProHeat 2X delivers all around excellent performance.
- The strong 12 amp motor gives this model extra cleaning power.
- The 12 rows of brushes means that dirt and stains are aggressively targeted.
- Customer ratings place this as a very reliable model.
- While the built in water heater is good for water temperature, it does make this a heavier model than most.
For average size carpets with extra tough cleaning needs, this model is one of the best choices on the market.
10. Hoover MaxExtract 60 FH50220
The combination of pressurized water and patented scrub brushes makes the Hoover MaxExtract 60 one of the best carpet scrubber systems available. Hoover’s unique Pressure Pro technology delivers highly pressurized water to break up your carpet’s toughest dirt and stains.
The patented SpinScrub brushes ensure that dirt and stains stand no chance against this carpet cleaning powerhouse. This model is ideal for homes with high traffic, small children and even pets.
Additional features include a rinse only mode that enables you to apply clean water without having to empty the water reservoir. An extra wide cleaning path also delivers improved performance over many of the competitors.
- Extra wide cleaning path means you have to use fewer passes to clean your carpet.
- Rinse only option reduces the need of emptying your water reservoir.
- The limited size of the water reservoir limits this model to average size homes.
All in all, the Hoover MaxExtract 60 is a perfect choice carpet for anyone who wants their high traffic carpets looking their best.
11. Hoover MaxExtract Dual V F7452900
The MaxExtract Dual V All Terrain Carpet Washer is an upgraded version of the MaxExtract Dual V F7412-900. This model provides all the hard hitting cleaning power of its predecessor, while also offering advanced features such as auto rinsing and hard wood cleaning.
The wide cleaning path makes this an efficient carpet cleaner, requiring fewer passes to cover the carpet.
A squeegee tool transforms the MaxExtract F7452900 into a hard wood floor cleaner. This is ideal for homes that have equal amounts of hard wood floors and carpeted floors. The versatility of this model is scarcely seen in competitor brands.
- The wide cleaning path makes this an efficient product.
- Auto rinsing makes cleaning the carpet easier, requiring fewer stages.
- The ability to clean hard wood floors makes this a perfect all around carpet cleaner machine.
- While the added features are a good thing, they can be too much for anyone who just needs a standard carpet steam cleaner.
The MaxExtract Dual F7452900 is a perfect choice for anyone who has an equal amount of hard wood floors to carpeting, and who needs them looking their best.
12. Bissell ProHeat 89108
For homeowners with pets and small children, Bissell introduces its ProHeat 89108. Designed to clean even the toughest of pet stains, this model is very highly rated by customers on numerous carpet cleaner reviews. In addition to its high power cleaning action, the ProHeat 89108 offers an attachment for hard to beat pet stains.
It also offers a rinse only mode, capable of delivering fresh hot water without the need of emptying the water reservoir as is needed with many other models.
The ProHeat technology of this model ensures that the water is kept at the optimum temperature for delivering professional quality carpet cleaning to any home.
The features of this machine combine versatility with cleaning power, while also being gentle enough for homes with pets or small children.
- The rinse only feature provides greater versatility while cleaning.
- The built in water heater guarantees the hottest water for the best results.
- A strong 12 amp motor ensures professional grade cleaning power.
- The powerful motor, in addition to the built in water heater, add extra weight to this model.
The Bissell ProHeat Pet Advanced is one of the most versatile and best received carpet cleaning systems specifically designed for pet owners available on the market today.
13. Bissell DeepClean 17N4/17N4P
The DeepClean 17N4 from Bissell is considered the best carpet cleaner available for pet owners. Providing a range of special features for tackling the toughest of pet stains, this model is a must for any home with heavy pet traffic. The ProHeat technology ensures that the water is kept at the optimum temperature for removing pet stains.
Additionally, 12 rows of Bissell’s patented DirtLifter brushes ensure that any dirt or stain is vigorously and thoroughly attacked and eliminated.
This model is the perfect middle ground in Bissell’s ProHeat series, providing comparable results to the higher Bissell Deluxe 36Z9, while providing more features than the more modest Bissell 8852.
- 12 rows of DirtLifter brushes provide a powerful dirt busting performance.
- Heatwave technology keeps the water at the perfect temperature for best results.
- The modest price of this model is affordable for most budgets.
- A built in pet hair basket helps keep the system running smoothly.
- There really are no cons for this particular model.
In short, the Bissell DeepClean 17N4 is the best carpet cleaner for any house with pets and the carpet stains they create. Versatile and powerful, this model is excellent value for money.
14. Bissell DeepClean 36Z9
The DeepClean 36Z9 is Bissell’s top of the line carpet cleaner for cleaning pet stains. It incorporates Bissell’s patented Heatwave and DirtLifter technologies with added features, such as a CleanShot option for delivering extra cleaning power for your carpet’s toughest stains.
An internal basket for pet hair helps ensure that the unit functions smoothly, even in the most challenging of circumstances. A full 12 rows of Bissell’s unique DirtLifter brushes promise to break up any dirt or grime in any carpet.
- The full range of features ensures that you can keep your carpets pristine regardless of how many wee beasties you have in your home.
- Features such as the internal hair basket will keep this machine in top operating order.
- The added features of this model means that it costs a fair amount more than the more modest pet specific models.
- All of the added technologies mean that this model is significantly heavier than many of its counterparts.
While this model may be a little overkill for a house with one or two pets, it is an ideal choice for any house with large numbers of pets or larger pets in general.
15. Bissell ProHeat 8852
The Proheat 8852 from Bissell is a basic, reliable carpet cleaner for everyday cleaning jobs. Without all of the bells and whistles of higher end models, the ProHeat DeepClean
Essential offers all of the power and quality of Bissell without the high end cost of the more advanced models. Six rows of Bissell’s patented DirtLifter PowerBrushes provide dirt busting power to any carpet, while the ProHeat technology ensures that the water is kept at an optimal temperature for best results.
- A simple range of basic features makes this model easy to use.
- The lightweight design means that anyone can operate this unit.
- The cost effective price of this model makes it perfect for apartments or offices.
- While this is a good ‘workhorse’ model, it is not capable of anything more than general carpet steaming.
Despite the low cost and modest design of the Bissell ProHeat DeepClean Essential, it is every bit as effective as the name Bissell would suggest.
Factors to Consider before Buying
Here are several things to consider before looking for such a gadget:
Are you a pet person? Homes that have pets will have very different carpet cleaning needs than homes that are pet-free. Everything from hair to urine stains will be issues that a carpet cleaner will need to be able to effectively deal with in order for it to be the right choice for you.
Do you have children? Wee beasties can come in all shapes and sizes. While you may not have the four legged kind, the two legged kind can prove an equally real threat to even the most resilient of carpets. As well as addressing the stains and general dirt that you will need to clean, you will also want to find a product that keeps your carpet safe for small children. The last thing you need is for your tiny ones to be crawling around and playing on a carpet that is full of cleaning chemical smells and residues.
Even if your children aren’t of the small variety, they can present issues that will determine which machine is best for you. Teenagers, after all, tend to be more athletic and adventurous, resulting in greater amounts of dirt, mud, and who knows what else being tracked all across your precious carpet. This will greatly affect which carpet cleaning machine is right for you.
Do you host parties? Even if you have neither pets nor wee human beasties, you might still have very specific carpet cleaning needs. This is particularly true for anyone who hosts parties on a regular basis. Wine stains are only marginally worse than coffee stains, so whether it’s a simple coffee and donut affair or a high end wine affair, devastating stains can occur. Certain carpet cleaning machines are designed specifically to tackle food stains, including coffee and wine. Thus, having this information in mind will greatly help in choosing the best carpet cleaner for you.
In short, if you have children, pets, or parties, then a carpet cleaning machine is something that you would doubtlessly benefit from. Having said that, there are even models ideal for small office spaces or apartments that have only light to moderate carpet traffic. Knowing which bells and whistles you need, as well as which ones you don’t, will go a long way to helping you make the best choice.
Hopefully, these 15 carpet cleaner reviews will help you to make a more educated decision when shopping for such a device.
With models designed for basic cleaning to models designed for pets or other specific stain challenges, there are units best suited for anyone’s needs and budget.
Armed with this information, you are now ready to find the best carpet cleaner for you!